"The child with autism is like a Mac in a PC world. He’s hard-wired differently. Not incorrectly – just differently. Teach him in a manner meaningful to him. “- Ellen Notbohm
The Covid-19 pandemic forced us into home isolation and far away from all schools/centers for our own safety. It is in this scenario that the concept of In-home ABA therapy or other care services has gained popularity because of the many advantages it provides. In-home ABA therapy brings the best practices and therapies into the comfort & security of the home. It can be used to supplement therapy being conducted in a formal setting or simply replace it. Any session conducted at home is very similar to the one being conducted in a classroom setting except the focus changes based on the relevancy to the setting. This doesn’t indicate that in-home therapy sessions don’t cover general skills & behaviors such as writing or social skills. Some things are sacrosanct and will be taken care of during the ABA therapy session regardless of the setting.
A family can opt for exclusive in-home therapy for their child based on their unique set of needs & challenges or even a hybrid option (part center and part home). Based on the set of determinants the family can choose in-home therapy for their child. Let's read about the various benefits that accrue to a family from having in-home therapy with experienced & certified therapists, in your presence.
There are many benefits of In-Home ABA Therapy from Caliber Autism Care:
1. Scheduling is done according to the needs and availability of the client and his family with no minimum hours require
2. Therapy occurs at the location that is most needed for the client and the family
3. The child is most at ease at home, so the learning’s are enhanced.
4. Everyday life skills that involve a home setting are worked on and improved upon within the home setting where they would be used on a daily basis such as combing hair, making simple meals, brushing teeth, helping with house chores and so on.
5. Reduction or gradual fading away of maladaptive behaviors at home. By helping parents/caregivers identify environmental factors that are triggers and assist with implementing preventive measures
6. The parents and caregivers are able to maintain communication and ask questions in vivo
7. The parents and caregivers can carry forward the learning’s of the therapy in the absence of the therapist
8. Parent training occurs in the home and allows for parents to be provided a model of how to support their child in learning of novel skills
9. Child is able to learn how to navigate the distractions of the home setting
10. The sessions are flexible and molded per the needs of the client
Insurance companies cover ABA therapy both in the home setting and center based setting. This provides options for you as a parent to decide which setting does your child needs the most support in. Call Caliber Autism Care today to find out if home-based ABA therapy is best suited for your child.