If you are looking to gift a child with ASD, a toy that will stimulate their senses and keep them happy, then we have a suggested list of toys & gifts for you. Keep the young ones busy and sharpen their skills that will hold them in good stead as they prepare for life ahead.
Below are some suggested Best Sensory Toys & Gifts for kids with ASD:
1. Train set – Children are fascinated with trains. They help children with categories and the concept of time is better understood with train timetables. Story telling focussing on the train and its passengers can lead to open-ended storytelling such as stories of each passenger being created.
2. Tactile building blocks – They are great gifts for children. They can be used in countless ways. They sharpen motor skills. Their texture is helpful in tactile stimuli.
3. Play foam – The nontoxic moulding foam are a hit with kids. They can be rolled or shaped into any shape with tactile stimulation being achieved. Play foam is an ideal special need sensory toy. It boosts motor skills and creativity.
4. Pogo jumper – Ideal for children over 5. Many kids on the spectrum have an over- or under-sensitive vestibular system, which deals with balance and coordinating movement. A child friendly pogo stick can be added to your toy or gift list for a child for those who like movement such as bouncing or rocking.
5. Scented bubbles – They stimulate the sensory organs such as eyes and nose. If you have a child in your life who is sensitive to smells, this is a good way to introduce them to various positive fragrances.
6. Weighted stuff toys – Such a toy allows the kid to relax and focus on body & mind. Stroking the toy for further tactile input lowers stress levels in the child. Ideal for a 3 or older aged child.
7. Sensory pouches – The bag contains items which stimulate the senses thanks to their texture. It has different pillows & patches with different textures such as smooth and rough.
8. Fidget noodles – Play with these different colored tubes, children are exposed to both auditory & tactile stimulation via one toy. They can be stretched, bent, pushed, or pulled.
9. Toy bolts & nuts – They are a cool gift for kids. They aid in improving motor skills and open-ended play.